CES Lenovo Smart Assistant: Lenovo has unveiled a new smart home appliance that uses Alexa to field spoken commands to turn on the lights, play music, and create to-do lists on Tuesday. The Chinese technology firm Lenovo has teamed up with amazon to launch its new digital personal assistant at CES (Consumer Electronics Show) 2017. Since Lenovo Smart Assistant is equipped with Amazon Alexa cloud-based voice services, it works almost similar to how Amazon Echo works. The Lenovo’s Smart Assistant recognizes voice commands given by the users and uses Alexa to conduct web searches, play music, create lists, provide calendar updates and much more. The CES Lenovo Smart Assistant will be available in available in Light Gray, Green, and Orange color variants.
The Lenovo Smart Assistant will be available in two editions from May 2017. One is the standard edition, and the other is a premium edition with Harmon Kardon speakers. Lenovo Smart Assistant price in India is ₹8789.48 for Standard edition which is cheaper than Amazon’s Echo. Whereas the Lenovo Digital Assistant with Harmon Kardon speakers is available for just ₹12,193.
Lenovo’s New Alexa Powered Speaker
Lenovo has launched its first Smart Assistant speaker in two variants which, as the name suggests, uses Alexa to perform tasks. It is a tall cylindrical device, but with a warmer design than Amazon’s speaker. The top half of the Lenovo digital assistant is white, with a silver 360-degree microphone-speaker combo on top. The bottom half feels more like the Google Home device, with a gray, green or orange woven overlay for a splash of color. Like Amazon, CES Lenovo Smart Assistant uses an array of six far-field microphones on top of the speaker to capture your voice queries and commands from any direction, but the computer manufacturer has added another two mics in the center, so there are eight 360-degree far-field microphones in all. These microphones can pick the user’s voice commands from 5 meters, i.e., 16 feet away.
Lenovo has essentially taken the Alexa smartphone app and skinned it to look like its own. As Alexa grows more efficient through machine learning, it will enhance both of its speakers for more natural interactivity, wider functionality with third-party apps and much more all for free. The device also features physical volume controls for adjusting the sound, without the need to pause music for voice interactions.
How does Lenovo Smart Assistant works ?
Lenovo, the world’s largest PC maker is now getting into the smart home market. It will release a new mainstream digital personal assistant with Amazon Alexa cloud-based voice services in the month of May 2017. At first glance, the CES Lenovo Smart Assistant looks, well, like Amazon’s own Echo speaker. The working procedure of Lenovo’s new Alexa powered speaker is very simple. For example, if you say “Alexa, play Rolling Stones on Spotify,” will do just that presuming you have a Spotify account linked up. Or, “Alexa, check my commute (travel to and fro),” it will give feedback on traffic, presuming you have set up your work and home locations from the app.
CES Lenovo Smart Assistant Features
Lenovo unveiled a new smart home appliance under the name Lenovo Voice Controlled Speaker. Though the CES Lenovo Smart Assistant shares a likeness with Amazon’s Echo, it improves upon its forebear in some key ways. It was equipped with eight 360-degree far-field microphones which were one more than the Echo’s seven. They are capable of suppressing noise and canceling echoes and can pick up voice commands from up to 16 feet away. Also, the Lenovo Voice Controlled Speaker sounds better, too because it sports a 5W treble speaker and 10W woofer. And it will launch alongside a special Harman Kardon edition that packs a 2-inch sound cavity for a clearer tweeter and deeper bass.
Lenovo Smart Assistant (Standard Edition) Price
|Lenovo Smart Assistant Price in China||896.36 Chinese Yuan|
|Lenovo’s new Alexa powered Speaker Price in India||8789.48 Indian rupee|
|Lenovo Smart Assistant Speaker Price in US||129 US Dollars|
|CES Lenovo Smart Assistant Price in Canada||172.16 Canadian Dollars|
|Lenovo Alexa based Smart Assistant Price in UK||105.16 British Pounds|
|Lenovo Smart Assistant Speaker Price in Japan||15171.05 Japanese Yen|
|Lenovo Alexa powered digital Assistant Price in Australia||177.65 Australian Dollar|
|Lenovo’s new Alexa powered Speaker Price in South Korea||154958.67 South Korean Won|
Lenovo Smart Assistant Harmon Kardon Speakers Price
|Lenovo Smart Assistant Premium Edition Price in China||896.36 Chinese Yuan|
|Lenovo’s Harmon Kardon Speaker Price in India||12193.03 Indian rupee|
|Lenovo Voice Controlled Speaker Price in US||179 US Dollars|
|CES Lenovo Smart Assistant Price in Canada||239.04 Canadian Dollars|
|Lenovo Alexa based Smart Assistant Price in UK||146.06 British Pounds|
|Lenovo Smart Assistant with Harmon Kardon Speaker Price in Japan||21057.74 Japanese Yen|
|Lenovo Alexa powered digital Assistant Price in Australia||246.52 Australian Dollar|
|Lenovo’s new Alexa powered Speaker Price in South Korea||215020.17 South Korean Won|
Amazon Echo vs Lenovo Smart Assistant
Lenovo says that it worked directly with Amazon to develop the digital personal assistant speaker. So, it has made an Amazon Echo lookalike but the new smart home appliance was equipped with better speakers. Also, the company has differentiated the CES Lenovo Smart Assistant in some aspects. Likewise in Echo, you should use your voice to ask Alexa to play music, set timers, read the news, and so on. But there are a few notable differences between Amazon’s own Echo speaker and Lenovo’s Smart Assistant speaker. So, check out How Lenovo Smart Assistant is different from Amazon Echo in all aspects.
- Price: Lenovo’s Smart Assistant is priced cheaper than Amazon’s Echo at $129, compared to $180 for the full-sized Echo.
- Color: Amazons Echo comes in black and white colors only whereas the Lenovo Smart Assistant will come in three variants namely light green, gray and orange.
- Microphones: The Lenovo’s device has eight far-field microphones compared to seven mics on Amazon’s Echo. Also, the microphone sticks out of the top of the device compared to the flat placement on the Amazon device.
- Audio Quality: The 2.5-inch woofer and 2-inch tweeter of Amazon Echo sounds good but Lenovo has gone even further with its Smart Assistant. Because the standard edition comes with a 100W woofer and a 5W tweeter, to pump out powerful audio.
- Mic Quality: While Amazon’s Echo comes with a gigantic seven microphones in its 360-degree array, the Smart Assistant of Lenovo has been equipped with eight microphones in a 6 + 2 arrangement. So, that one can hear anything up to five meters away, perfectly and clearly.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): Both the devices use Amazon’s Alexa AI for full functionality. Hence Echo and Smart assistant essentially share the same brain and operating system. That means you get the same voice responses to your commands.
- Mute and Volume Control: Lenovo Smart Assistant does not have the Amazon Echo’s mute feature, but it comes with full volume controls. But there is still a physical button in the Smart Assistant to activate listening for commands, like on the Echo.